Thrift shopping and furniture restoration go hand in hand. It’s not very often that you will pick up a piece of furniture at the thrift store and it’s the perfect color and style that you wanted. If you have ever landed on such a thing, then you need to praise the thrifting gods and consider yourself lucky.
Luckily for me, restoring furniture has become one of my favorite hobbies, and while I’m still new at it, I love to see how I can transform something unappealing to me into something beautiful. It’s pretty powerful to have that control over your furniture and it makes me appreciate what I have a whole lot more.
Knowing that I was not the only one who feels this way, I decided I wanted to start a furniture restoration program with a local nonprofit. We would have local artists and handymen work with kids to restore furniture and sell it, with the profits being donated to different local charities.
Then, we landed on Respect Your Mother – a fundraiser I’m putting together with Vox Sacramento and Sol Collective that will benefit our furniture restoration program we are hoping to open soon. Now that the event is a little over seven weeks away, I thought it would be the perfect time for an update and to spread the word some more!
Here are all the things we are hoping to have:
- Live auction with 10 pieces of furniture painted by local artists
- Raffle filled with prizes from local and small businesses
- 10 booths, all being run by different local businesses, makers and food providers
- Clothing drive
- Acoustic live music
- Bake sale
In order for this to happen, we need some help. Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Artists who want to donate their time and talent to painting a piece of furniture
- Donated furniture (we have three pieces already – need seven more!)
- Raffle items from local and small businesses
- Vendors who want to pay $25 for a booth space, which will be donated to Sol Collective
- Clothing driver partners who want to either donate a large bag of clothing/linens or hold a clothing drive
- A local acoustic musician
- Bakers who want to donate a dozen or two of baked goods for the fundraiser
So, if you live in the Sacramento area and want to volunteer and/or sponsor the event, please e-mail me! You can also sponsor from afar so if you want to donate to the raffle, e-mail me so we can set it up! And please help spread the word by sharing this post as much as you can. And you can find the event on Facebook! Thank you for your help!